Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Repurposed 60's style dresser



This turned out to be one of my favorite pieces so far. I found this ugly old dresser at the Goodwill about 6 months ago. My initial plan was to turn this into a buffet for our new house, but we still haven't found our new house, and so we are renting for the time being. When I say that this dresser was ugly, I mean U-G-L-Y! I think I was the only one that believed it was going to turn out fabulous.



See what I mean. Yikes! So I kept hearing all these wonderful things about Annie Sloan chalk paint. The rumor was that you didn't have to sand (say whaaaat!?), prime, or clean the piece before painting. It sounded way too good to be true, but I had to check it out. I had used a sample previously on my bread box, but I was reluctant to use it on a bigger piece, because I wasn't sure if the rumores were true.  First off, I should warn that Annie Sloan paint is VERY pricey for paint. About $40 for a small can. But the sales woman assured me that a little goes a loooong way. Second, it's only sold at like 2 specialty stores in the area. Luckily one of those stores was in Sumner. 

So, I started off by removing the knobs, and pulling the drawers out. Then I literally just stared painting. I started with the top, made my way down the side, and then the legs, and then the drawers. The paint took no time at all to dry. By the time I was done painting the drawers, the dresser was dry. Seriously!




(Don't mind the bed over there on the left. That's another project.)

After the paint had dried, I started sanding the dresser to give it that "shabby chic" look. The key to sanding is to sand all the places that would naturally get worn down over time; like the corners, edges, and around the knobs. 
Once I finished the sanding, I just took a towel, and wiped down the entire dresser. Making sure that I got all of the dust off. 


To give it an even more vintage look, I used Minwax wood stain in the color Dark walnut. I just took an old rag and dipped it in the stain. You can also brush it on, but I prefer to wipe it on with a rag. Covering small areas at a time, I wiped it on, waited about 30 seconds, and then wiped it off. Don't leave the stain on too long, or it will be too dark. This will also change the color of the paint. If you do not want the color of the paint to be darker, you will want to use a clear stain or a clear wax to seal and protect your project.



This entertainment center took me less than 3 hours to complete. Including dry time! It was SO simple. All the rumors about this paint are true. It's fabulous! I am in LOVE with this piece and this paint.





3 comments:

  1. I'm really impressed. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. It was soo easy, and fun. Turned out better than I could have ever imgined.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever used the Annie Sloan chalk paint on cheaper particle board pieces, like Ikea shelving? I have these god awful poop brown shelves at home that I want to paint white but not sure if it's worth it. Either that or maybe find a cheaper paint alternative? Advice, pls! :)

    ReplyDelete